Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pigs have wings !!!!! (Or: Take heart! if it can happen to me, ....)

I've just gotta shout it!

The impossible has happened: Ukulele Katie GOT A NEW JOB!!!!!

OK, that was back in March, but I'm waaay behind on my writing. But after a couple of months in the new slot, there are still times when I can hardly believe it happened--to ME!!! The uninsurable / unemployable / no-eyebrows / circling-the-drain / Stage IV cancer gnome!!!! Whew !!!!!!!



Long story short, I had brushed up my Monster profile way back in the fall, and was getting the occasional clueless nibble (head-hunters calling about contract work, when my profile states explicitly that I am looking for a full-time/permanent remote job with benefits. Yes, I know they're scarce. That's why I'm looking now....).

Lo and behold, a fellow who turned out to be a fireball of a head-hunter and a lovely person to boot, contacted me about a possible job match at a little, cutting-edge, biotech place a couple hundred miles from here.

A phone interview and an-inperson interview later, I got it! A lively, creative, fast-paced setting (yes that means lots of hard work and resourcefulness), a company that does genomic-based new drug discovery and development--NOT some plodding pharmaceutical behemouth, and above all, people who looked at my C.V., talked with me, and chose me to work with. What a wonderful thing to happen to anybody, but especially, little old Kancer Katie with her single-digit life expectancy and 6-digit annual health expenses.

I am still waiting to see if the new insurance company will "approve" my ongoing treatment...as it is garden-variety, they will have no legitimate reason not to, but like everything else about this escapade, I'll beleve it when I see it. The 60-day review period is almost up....

But let's stick with the positive. Somebody wanted me!!! Heck, if I could actually land a new job, maybe a boyfriend isn't a completely hopeless proposition!

So, in keeping with the tone of positive thinking, here is my favorite Sophie Tucker number, sans the full costume and dirty jokes, but with all the spirit:



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I looked for you today. Once or twice a year, I do. Wonderful Uke playing. Every so often, drop me a line telling me how you're doing. I still think of you often, but usually ragging on a piano.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, but let's keep it clean, folks! Anything that's blatantly offensive will be moderated into oblivion. Have a nice day!