Thursday, July 16, 2015

I'm Going to the (North Carolina, shark-ridden) Beach!



First ever family week at the beach, 3 generations, who would miss it? Of course there is a potentially unsettling pattern of shark attacks going on this summer, and our rental is located right in the geographic center of it all. Nonetheless, I'm inclined to go with the statistics-versus-impressions on this issue....


Overall risk level (objective): FAR greater risk of death when driving there, than by being sharked at the beach.

Creepiness level (subjective):  Far creepier to be killed by a shark than in an auto crash (to most people; however, I would choose to assume my rightful place in Nature as occasional food for others. After a lifetime of carnivory, it’s only fair).

My sisters’ candid responses (as expressed at dinner last week):

Younger sister: putting no more than feet in water

Older sister: taking surfing lessons

Me (middle child, middle way?): will do as much as I can in the water, from the shore (normally a wave jumper, but currently in a weakened state). Will wear life jacket in any case, as I consider being devoured as preferable to drowning. Also, if eaten, will probably serve as poisoned bait, given all the toxic chemotherapy stuff I am drenched with. Serves them right!

Seriously, I am not worried. Also, our putative neighborhood has banned offshore shark fishing (thought to be an attractant) and also has established designated areas of beach where shore fishing is prohibited. And we are far from the nearest pier (also thought a risk factor).


We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but let's keep it clean, folks! Anything that's blatantly offensive will be moderated into oblivion. Have a nice day!